Twitter, Google +, Facebook, the world evolves around sharing these days. Personally I have a Twitter Account, Google + Account, Facebook Page, and Linkedin Account. You can access them all on the top right of this screen. These are all great platforms for a leader to get their message out. There’s only one problem, what if no one is following you? You must ask yourself how do I get more followers?
Sharing is caring but sharing with no one is worthless. If you’re going to be a leader you must have followers. When I began blogging I had a problem, I had no one to share my posts with. So I signed up for a Twitter account!. Then I had another problem, I had no followers. “How do I get more followers?” was something I was forced to ask myself.
Today I have 19,200 followers and am adding people daily. This didn’t happen overnight, it has been a journey and a struggle to learn the social media giant’s best practices and to gain momentum. I have researched many sources and found these two to be the most helpful.
- Skip Prichard’s 13 Tips for Twitter Effectiveness – Skip lays out many problems beginners make on Twitter. I personally have made many of these mistakes. Getting a good knowledge of what’s going on with hashtags and @symbols is a good idea for anyone who wants to know how to get more followers on Twitter.
- Michael Hyatt’s How to Become a Twitter Ninja in 30 Minutes or Less a Day – This is a nitty gritty overview of how Twitter falls into your overall platform scheme. You’ll understand when and how to manage Twitter. Knowing how to effectively utilize Twitter will help you to add more followers.
Here is what I did to go from zero followers, to 19,200 very quickly.
- Follow people who similar to you – there is a surprising amount of people who will follow you back. When you follow someone they receive a notice. They’ll often look at your profile and if it interested them, they’ll follow you.
- Promote others – Just like Michael does with his Google Reader, I like to Tweet out articles I think my followers will like. I usually include the author in my tweet using their Handle. (@JaysonFeltner)
- Interact – Reply to other people. It’s not all about you and what you put out there, others are putting out tweets too. Enjoy the conversation and get involved. If you do it correctly (see Skip’s post) your comment will be in front of your followers and theirs. This is a great way for their followers to see you and some may follow you.
- Create ReTweetable content – when you tweet something interesting, others will retweet it. When they do, all their followers see your tweet. This is an incredible way to gain exposure.
- Don’t seem scammy – Don’t post things that are scammy, be honest and sincere. It’s ok to ask people to read your latest post, but don’t tweet a link to it 40 times in one day.
- Follow me – @JaysonFeltner. More importantly, look at who I follow. I see something on my Twitter every week about how to become a better user and gain more followers. I usually retweet these great articles out, so following me will get you access to great materials.
So how do I get more followers on Twitter, just like that! Learn the rules and how the game is played. Skip’s post will really help you here. Next learn how to use it efficiently, this is where Michael’s post comes in. Then, remember my 6 rules and you’ll be well on your way to breaking the 10,000 mark.