You wake up in the morning, the sun is shining through your window, your body is well rested and relaxed. Your mind is focused and ready to tackle the day. Adrenaline is coursing through your veins driving your energy levels through the roof, you just can’t wait to expel your surging energy on some tasks at work. If that describes you every morning, then you’re an anomaly and this post won’t help you. For the rest of us who struggle to get going, I present to you your new best friend, Yerba Mate.
For most of us there’s nothing like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning to wake up our senses and get us going. Without it you’d be an unproductive, reclusive, blob of negativity. But is it really the best part of waking up? Not too long ago I tried quitting coffee for a multitude of reasons but I was pulled back into dark, steamy, aromatic world the very first morning after a late night. I just could not go on feeling so tired, there were tasks to be accomplished and I was in no shape to attack them. I found myself drinking several cups of coffee every morning, then drinking a cup or two in the afternoon. Some say coffee is the fuel that powers the dreams of champions. But for me it was a tooth darkening, bad breath causing, ulcer producing, nasty tasting, jittery feeling, unwanted necessity. That is until I found Yerba Mate.
Yerba Mate is a shrub that naturally grows in the South American regions. Most Yerba Mate on the market today is grown in Argentina. What makes Yerba Mate an incredible morning kick start is its unique blend of stimulants. Unlike most forms of caffeine, Yerba Mate does not affect the central nervous system. Instead, Yerba Mate has a calming and relaxing effect on your body’s muscle tissues while the stimulant effects are absorbed through the heart’s muscular tissue. Amazing right? Here is why I drink this stuff almost every morning instead of coffee.
- It’s Super Fast – I have a water cooler at home with a “hot” spout on it. When I wake up, I simply pour some hot water into my Bodum Chambord Coffee Press. Then I eyeball about 2 tablespoons of Yerba Mate, put the top on the press and let it sit while I get ready for work. Before I leave the house, I simply push down on the press and fill my travel mug with delicious Yerba Mate. Rinse out your press right quick and you’re ready to go. I know it sounds like a lot of steps but honestly it’s about half the time it takes to make coffee in a traditional coffee maker.
- It Won’t Stain Your Teeth – I’ve spent a lot of time making these pearly whites pearly white, I don’t want to mess that up with dark black liquids. The light yellow tint to Yerba Mate is easy on the teeth. It is very similar to green tea.
- Energized But Cool – The relaxing effect on your body and the calming sensation on your soul, mixed with the increased energy levels you get from this drink are unparalleled. You won’t get all worked up and jittery like you do with coffee but you’ll still be focused and energized to power you through you morning. This is because the stimulants are absorbed through the muscle tissue, not the central nervous system. More on this here.
- Digestive Health – Yerba Mate has been shown to help with digestion and keep you “regular.” It can also help reverse heart disease. Here’s a write up.
- Antioxidants!!! – Yerba Mate has about 3 times as much antioxidants as green tea. If you’re a leader at work, you’re stressed, that’s just a given. Exercise is great for your health and stress levels, but produces free radicals created by the breaking down of your muscles during exercise. Antioxidants will wipe away these free radicals caused by both stress and exercise leaving your body healthy and clean.
Yerba Mate is the perfect companion drink to reduce your stress, energize your day, clean your body, and keep your perfect smile perfect, since you’ll be smiling a lot once you try this drink.
Question: Have you tried Yerba Mate? What are your thoughts?